In a predominantly Catholic country such as the Philippines, Good Friday symbolizes the commemoration of the death of Jesus Christ on the cross. Aside from the prohibition of taking a bath after 3pm, one other observed tradition is the abstinence of eating meat. And so, I found this sardines recipe from Mega Creations Premium Sardines (from the creators of Mega Sardines) a fitting post today.
A few weeks ago, Mega Creations Premium Sardines, together with Global Academy Head of Operations Chef Greg Villalon, demonstrated that tasty meals can be easily prepared even using common household ingredients in less than half an hour.
The sardines come in two variants: in natural oil and in spanish style. One of the dishes / recipes cooked with a twist was the Moroccan Sardine and Sweet Potato Casserole. It was my favorite and deserves a feature here:
Moroccan Sardine and Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:
- 6 Cans – Mega Creations Premium Sardines Spanish Style (chopped)
- 2 Cups – Spinach leaves (chopped)
- 2 Cups – Red Bell pepper (strips)
- 1/2 Cup – Raisins
- 1 Cup – White onion (minced)
- 2 Tbsp – Cinnamon powder
- 2 Tbsp – Cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp – Turmeric powder
- 6 Tbsp – Tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup – Olive oil
- To taste – Salt
- To taste – White pepper
Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 Kilo – Orange sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 2 Cups – Milk
- 6 Tbsp – Butter (softened)
- To taste – Salt
- To taste – White Pepper
- 1 Cup – Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 Cup – Japanese bread crumbs
- As needed – Butter
- Peel, chop, and boil sweet potatoes until soft enough for a knife to go through it. Drain off the sweet potatoes before mashing with a fork.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes in a pan, then incorporate milk and softened butter until desired consistency is achieved. Season to taste then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan then add onions, peppers, spinach, and raisins. Briefly saute, then add all the spices and leave in the pan until fragrant.
- Add the potato paste and stir well. Next, add the Mega Creations Premium Sardines and mash thoroughly until a “spreadable texture” is achieved. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Assemble the dish on a casserole or a Pyrex dish. The ingredients will be layered similar to a lasagna dish, with the first layer made of sweet potato puree, and then topped with the spinach mixture. Repeat the process until you fill the casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheese crust on top then add slices of butter to cover the whole dish.
- Bake in a 375° F oven for about 30-45 mins or until the crust has browned.
- Serve and enjoy!